St. Peter’s Parish Church

Tilton on the Hill - Leicestershire

Our Heritage - Churchyard Cross

Churchyard Cross - St. Peters Graveyard


List Entry Summary

This monument is scheduled under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 as amended as it appears to the Secretary of State to be of national importance. This entry is a copy, the original is held by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport.

Name: Churchyard cross, St Peter's churchyard

List entry Number: 1014517

Location

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Tilton

Date first scheduled: 25-Feb-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 15-May-1996

Legacy System Information

Legacy System: RSM

UID: 21652Details


The churchyard cross at Tilton on the Hill is a good example of a 13th century standing cross marking a graveyard. Situated to the south east of the south porch, it is believed to stand in or near its original position. Limited activity in the area immediately surrounding the cross indicates that archaeological deposits relating to the monument's construction in this location are likely to survive intact. The cross has not been restored, and has continued in use as a public monument and amenity from medieval times to the present day.




Home PageSt._Peters_Church.html
FundraisingFundraising.html
Our HeritageOur_Heritage.html
NewsletterNewsletter.html
Video TourVideo_Tour.html