St. Peter’s Parish Church

Tilton on the Hill - Leicestershire

Home PageSt._Peters_Church.html
FundraisingFundraising.html
Our HeritageOur_Heritage.html
NewsletterNewsletter.html
Video TourVideo_Tour.html
First World War Centenary
1914 - 2014

Located in our churchyard is a war memorial. It is a Castle Hill granite wheel cross with a plaque at the bottom of the shaft and further inscription on the smoothed front face of the granite plinth with sloping sides and leaded lettering. The whole memorial is

mounted on a square base. It was unveiled by Major Dawson in July 1920 at a cost of £140.

(Description courtesy of Leicestershire County Council War Memorials Project)

You can read about the Men of the District who gave their lives in the Great War by clicking here


In February 2017, the war memorial was awarded Grade II listed status by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport and added to the List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.

The List entry for this building, together with a map, has now been published on the National Heritage List for England, Listing helps us to mark a building’s significance and celebrate its special architectural and historic interest. It brings specific protection so that its special interest can be properly considered in managing its future.